WEEK 6 – We officially took over the building process this week as we made the first payment on our excavation and foundation work, and they moved all the machinery, forms, trucks, etc. off the job site! This revelation is both welcome progress, and anxiety inducing singularity as we’re now the masters of our own domain. We celebrated by spending most of the weekend in the hole!
The next steps are waterproofing the foundation, a process that currently involves rolling gallons of blue, gelatinous, rubber product onto the walls and making sure every pockmark in the concrete is sealed. Fun fact: concrete can be very pockmarked, a product of air bubbles beings trapped along the forms when the walls are poured. I asked Josh what they did to try and remove the air pockets, and he described the process as “shoving a giant vibrator in the wall as deep as you can and letting it pulse for awhile, and then removing it slowly.” 😆😒 I won’t say anymore about that!
And! Lumber started to arrive on site! The first load, Josh delivered himself by strapping twenty foot long boards over the top of a truck height trailer and onto the roof of his truck. This worked…but was perhaps not his favorite method of delivery, as he promptly announced upon his return that he would pay to have future loads delivered by semi. The first of those semis arrives with the 40′ floor joists this Thursday!