Week 31 – The start of November, and it’s getting colder. While we fortunately dodged the 5 inches of snow that fell some places this week, there is no denying that we’re running short on good days outside. “Falling back” on the clocks at the end of the week didn’t help much either, as we essentially lost an hour of working daylight in the evenings. The siding to this point is maybe a little past half finished, and the schedule to get it finished is going to run right up against what looks to be the end of an otherwise pretty short fall.
As such, this weekend we called in the cavalry! Josh had already arranged to have a friend come help side on Saturday, and on Friday night we got an unexpected offer from friends in La Crosse to come help in the afternoon. So with the troops rallied, Saturday saw a big push to get around the final side of the house which hadn’t seen any siding yet. As a result, the siding is now finished around the entire house up past the first floor. This, however, is where it starts to get tricky as the majority of our ladders have run out of range.
There are a couple options to get past this final hurdle. The first would be scaffolding which we potentially have a few leads on. The second would be pump jacks, which is what the pros would use. Thus, our connection to a pro builder may come in useful here, provided he is not also at an end of the season crunch time job and thus using the equipment. A third, and less ideal, option is to continue to forge ahead with the one very large ladder we have, though it’s possible even this would not reach the peak in the back where the ground starts to slope, so it’s likely we will be exploring other options in the week ahead.
Inside, the plumbers and HVAC crews have wrapped up for the moment. The HVAC will most wait now until the gas and electric lines are run. The plumbers most recently set the water heater, and will eventually come back in to run the main water lines throughout the house.
And in, perhaps, the most important interior decision this week, we’ve moved the location of the wine cellar in the basement from the back corner where the sump pump is, to the main basement area where the bump out (the mirrors the kitchen) is. Some recessed shelving surrounded by three walls of concrete should be plenty to keep it relatively ideal for temperature, and we’ll throw some sliding double doors on it to make it pretty!