Week 55 was a happy anomaly in our building project.
We’ve had many setback weeks, stretches where I looked back on bad weather, or materials being delayed, or the pandemic, and resented how much time we’d lost in the course of seven days.
This week, by about Tuesday, we’d accomplished more than we have in other entire weeks! Things got rolling, and I can only hope that now that momentum carries us through May and towards the finish line on this thing!
So we started with the big plot twist, whether or not to give up the stained woodwork in favor of the natural maple, all of which boiled down to this reality that we’ve known from the start: maple wood is not the ideal wood for staining. And this was REALLY evident on the first door (it actually turns out we had stained two doors, I just forgot we did one way back when!). Whereas at the time we did it, I guess we convinced ourselves it was okay, looking back at it now, it really wasn’t.
Thus the ultimate question: do we give up something that we both like and know looks good in our natural wood, to try to stain it to something we think might look good instead? And if we do that, and it looks awful, what do we do instead?
The right answer was obviously to not stain the woodwork, and after carrying a cabinet door around the house to consider every paint color and tile choice made with the previous stain color in mind, we decided the only things that should be changed as a result of our “plot twist” were the shower tile in the master bathroom and the paint color of the entryway/upstairs hallway.
So despite having finished all the paint in week 54…I started week 55 painting again!
And while we loved the gold, and the pictures don’t really do the new color justice, we actually both decided that we like the new color better! So happy accident/repaint!
Next, Josh reached the front entryway with the wood floor, and that’s where it met up with the slate tile. So the stone tile went in, and then needed to be sealed…a real trick seeing as we don’t have a staircase up to our back door yet, so we were essentially working ourselves out of an entrance/exit. There was a plan to avoid this that involved doing the center on one day and the edges on another. I mostly just tried to stay out of the way!
But the real trick with the entryway tile was that we’d picked a tile that gave us a nontraditional/linear transition from our stone to our wood. Which meant after that tile went down, Josh started making lots of little, precise, angular cuts to create this…
Which is just kind of amazing if I do say so myself!
And while all of this was happening inside, outside we were getting a driveway and front walk!
And that was all by the end of the day on Wednesday!
Thursday and Friday was A LOT of cleaning on the first floor because everything (scraps, lumber, tools, etc.) has to come out for the hardwood to be sanded and finished. So I hauled many many many loads of scrap flooring out (we’ll be having very classy oak floor bonfires this summer!) while Josh finished the hardwood floors in the upstairs hallway.
Which will lead to a weekend of much sanding and sealing and filling knotholes, and sanding again!
But it’s really starting to get the house feeling…especially when you can walk up a driveway to get to the front door instead of a big pile of dirt and pallets!