I had a little bit of a meltdown this week.
I have, I think, been pretty even keel through most of the house building project, save a few misunderstandings and frustrations about how I imagined things would go versus how they actually happened.
Midweek, however, after frustratingly trying to hang a mirror that had the stupidest directions to follow, and after having one of the wall anchors tear out, and after finally getting the mirror up on the wall only to discover it was crooked, and tasked with having to hang two more, both of which were bigger and heavier, Josh told me I didn’t have to hang them, and something inside me snapped.
Ok, snapped is pretty strong. Something “twinged” a little. Enough that I had a little bit of a meltdown, which obviously was about more than the mirror.
We’re at a maddening point in our finish work where everything looks like it should be done, but nothing is actually quite done. And for the love of everything…I just want to finish SOMETHING!!
At the point I was with the mirrors, we’d installed all the cabinetry…except one. We’d installed all the cabinet doors…except two. That’s because we’d finished all the cabinet doors…except one rogue one that got missed. We’d installed all the drawer fronts…except three. We’d started the tile…but only on the floors. We’d put in faucets…but only one.
Now here I was with the mirrors, and they were a giant pain in the butt. And one was up…albeit crooked…and I was being told not to worry about the rest if I was frustrated. But leaving the other ones unfinished was equally…if not more…frustrating!
I went and installed the other two mirrors…begrudgingly.
Later in the week I had a similar experience when Josh asked me to install the other two bathroom faucets. Having never installed a faucet, Josh assured me I could just follow the instruction manual and it would be fine.
With all due respect to Josh, who had not touched the instructions when he installed the first faucet because he knew what he was doing, the instructions sent with the faucet were worthless. He admitted as much when I had to pull him away from his own project numerous times to ask, among other things, why the diagrams of the assembly were backwards.
Installing the faucet was probably my least favorite job I’ve done in the house thus far…which is something considering some of the other projects we’ve endured. The directions were flawed, I didn’t like being on the floor and essentially upside down, shoved into the sink cabinet working above my head.
After finishing the first one, Josh told me if I hated it that much, I didn’t have to do the last one.
We need to finish SOMETHING. So I took the tools and the last faucet setup and trudged to the master bathroom to finish the job. When he came in five minutes late to reiterate I really didn’t have to do a job I hate, I told him I was, “Doing it out of spite and with hate in my heart.”
That may have been over dramatic.
A job I did not hate this week Josh and I tackled together, and that was installing the stone on the front of the fireplace. He cut, I mortared and lined up the stone, and now have spent a day sealing it before it will get grouted. He says I get to do that part. Fair enough. Let’s just finish it.
Of the things I was worked up about not being finished was the fact we had cabinets that weren’t installed. That included the built-ins that go on either side of the fireplace. The picture was taken pre-install, but let the record show that all the cabinets are now installed.
Meanwhile, Josh has been trimming away. All the window jams got built early this week, then had to be moved from the garage to the basement to be painted, then moved from the basement to their appropriate room to be installed. If you’re not sure what a window jam is, it’s the box that essentially sits inside the window opening to create the window ledge.
This is not the same, as you can see, as the window trim that goes around the outside so that you can’t see the drywall edges.
It should also be noted that somewhere close to four layers of spray foam go into putting window jams in, which, as you can see in the picture, can make a real mess!
All the window jams have been installed, and now we move onto the trimming of said windows and the door frames. Among the other odd jobs I had this week was priming 62 plinth blocks to be painted for the bottoms of the door trim. Josh then spent two full days spraying paint and moving trim around the basement to have all the pieces ready to start trimming in week 63. At the end of this week, he put a couple up just so we could get excited about seeing some finishing happen.
In other news….we’re still waiting for the landscaper because we’re stuck in a similar pattern to last summer where Mother Nature has decided to bless us with a little rain EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Somedays aren’t even enough to be a full washout on the day, just enough to make the ground soft enough that they won’t come drive their big machinery all over it.
There’s rain in the forecast Monday-Thursday of week 63. So I shouldn’t even hold my breath that we get rolling on that this next week.
Trim it is.